My First Week in Canada

Thursday, May 15, 2008


Today has definitely been a better day for me.

I feel less homesick (only less... because I still miss home very much) but not as depressingly ill as before (lets hope this lasts!).

Plus, the weather today is just perfect!

Something I would never talk about in Malaysia since we ALL already know how crappy Malaysian weather is so who ever wants to talk about it?

But today, there was not a single cloud in the sky (literally! Never saw a completely, utterly cloudless sky ever before!) and it was bright and sunshiny and the temperature's air-condition-like!

Anyhowww..

Here are pictures of most of my events during my first week in Vancouver!

The night I arrived, Uncle Doug and Aunty Sandra brought my family and I to have some Chinese food. It's weird but their Chinese here opens 'til wee hours in the morning!

Unlike back home where the only food places opened at late are only mamaks and all.

Anyhow, no pictures there.

But!

I have pictures of my first breakfast in Vancouver!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
First picture taken in Vancouver! Me & Papa. We were in another Chinese restaurant. Aunty Sandra likes taking us to Chinese places.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Aunty Sandra and Mummy.


They had pretty good Fried Rice with Scallop!

Their scallops are HUGE and delish.

Next, Aunty Sandra took us to Queen Elizabeth Park.

It's a nice park but I heard Stanley Park is better and huger. We went to that one later on (but I won't be blogging about it in this post though).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The Ng Family minus 2 older sisters @ Queen Elizabeth Park.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It's really pretty.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Don't be fooled by the sun. It was pretty chilly out. Whatever I was wearing was definitely NOT sufficient.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
An incredibly adorable squirrel! And not scared at all! Nothing like those rat-looking squirrels we get back in Malaysia (or at least, Andrew's house. VICIOUS!).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Pretty ducks!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Me and the fluorescent tulips! Honestly, tulips here are GORGEOUS!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
More boring scenery pictures!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Last boring scenery picture.

Then, Aunty Sandra took us around town...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Notice the mountains? When winter hits, it's only an hour drive away from the nearest ski slopes!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Cherry-blossom trees are everywhere around the city!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
On the way to downtown.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Downtown!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


So I came to a conclusion that, Vancouver is a pretty nice city. I like it because it's not too crazy (not too over-populated hence bad traffic flow etc etc) and it is certainly not dead.

Plus, a lot of people here are apparently very outdoorsy. And I love outdoorsy activities which is great.

I'm glad I came in the summer. Get to experience more stuff. That's IF I'm not too overwhelmed with my studies.

Now, let me show you my quaint little room!

I'm currently staying in Aunty Sandra's place which is a pretty large house and they were nice enough to spare me a room!

Pictures from four corners of my room:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I get a good view of the front of the house!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
And a large enough closet! Thankfully.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
:)


Now the next day....

We went for dim sum breakfast!

Jason's Grandma lovesssss dim sum so, yeah, we had a good share of it during the week.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Jason's Grandma & Mummy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Papa, Me & Jason.


The dim sum:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
All the portions here are 10x larger than in Malaysia! Good stuff.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I... actually didn't try this. No idea why I decided to post this up. Guess I wasn't thinking while I was editing the pics.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Inside the bun is the melted egg custard thingy-ma-jiggy which Jean and I love tremendously! And it was GOOOOODDD!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shiu Mai! However you spell it. Gigantus Shiu Mai.


Later that day, Jay took us to jalan-jalan at Robson Street which has pretty big names to window shop.

Obviously, everything being as expensive as it was, I didn't buy anything except....

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Lush's bath soap! Cool stuff!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The one on the top is called the "Sex Bomb" because you take the whole thing and throw it in your bath tub and it just bombs in the water! Haha. Okay, fine. More like sizzle in the water. It's still cool! And it smells wondrous. I forgot the name of the one at the bottom but I've used it for my baths (up to this point) already and it makes my tub very bubbly :)


And the NEXT day....

We went to visit SFU's campus!

Namely for my orientation day.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The place is HUGE! Although, evidently UBC (University of British Columbia) is larger (can't imagine that... SFU is already so darn big! I'd die from walking around UBC's campus). But since the Business School is supposedly better at SFU and since I'm majoring in Finance AND SFU is nearer to Aunty Sandra/Jay's place, why not eh?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The library has 6 floors. Craze.

The buildings are pretty gloomy since it's all grey and all but the campus is really, really large, has a football/soccer field, swimming pool, awesome gym, a zillion lecture halls (I went into one HUGE one which was waaaay larger than the biggest cinema I've ever went in GSC) and saw some pretty decent places to eat.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Plus, SFU has a fantastic view.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Mmmm... snowy mountains.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Jay and my Dad.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Me & my Dad.

After touring SFU's campus, Jay took us for some Pho!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Jay & Papa.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Vietnamese spring rolls. Mmmmm.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Phoooooo! The one with beef balls and tripe.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
My Phoooooo. I don't like tripe so I went with beef balls and sliced rare beef! Mmmmm.


And that's all for now!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Toodles!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous says..

omgosh u know whati just realised
ur gona be soooo pale when u get back!
:P

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous says..

Nat, the place is so pretty!! and the squire is so CUTE!!!! XDD
what's SFU btw? >_________<
enjoy ur life at cananda yea~ ;)

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous says..

i like your blog! remember to post up more pictures!! :)

Saturday, May 17, 2008  
Blogger andrew says..

What are lucky girl you are.....nice place, nice uni....now all you got to do is to make some new friends :)

Soon you'll realise there's nothing good about Malaysia other than your family/friends ...Have fun!

Saturday, May 17, 2008  
Blogger Miss Wishful says..

Mellie: Haha. I knowww. But it's summer now so I'm gonna tan myself (hopefully) as much as I can first!

Sin Yee: Yes it is! SFU is Simon Fraser University. Thanks :)

Anonymous: Will do ;) Thanks.

Andrew: Yes, that's right. Haha, maybe maybe, we'll see!

Saturday, May 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

 

 

 

 



Name: Miss Wishful
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

"Memories are a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, and the things you never want to lose."







Previously

Clickety-Click!
______________________

Mail Me!
______________________



Daily Hits

______________________




______________________

eXTReMe Tracker
______________________

Blog Layout partially by